Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Together Everyone Achieves More

By Action Coach Dave Beam
Team Work
“I am a team player and team leader. I do whatever it takes to stay together and achieve team goals. I focus on co-operation and always come to a resolution, not a compromise. I am flexible in my work and able to change if what I’m doing is not working. I ask for help when I need it and I am compassionate to others who ask me.”
That is the statement from the Action Coach eighth point of culture, TEAM. I hear it all the time from business owners; “How can I get people to work with each other and not against each other?”

It’s a great question and worthy of consideration. As with every human endeavor, it starts with the mind. For people to work as a team, they have to really believe that together they can achieve more than when they work independently. In Stephen Covey’s classic 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, he talks about the maturity continuum. We are all born into this world dependent on someone else for everything. Healthy growth and maturity from childhood to young adulthood is transitioning from dependence to independence. As an independent person, I can function and work in life without the help of others. However, the mature person that is most valuable and productive is an interdependent person; someone who has learned how to work as a member of a team. Interdependent people have learned how to give and take, dance instead of wrestle, lead and follow, and become focused on what is best for “us”, not just “me”.
For sure, there are some totally dependent people that suck the life out of the team. But a humble, ambitious, engaged dependent person can move quickly from dependence to independence to interdependence. However, a stubborn, independent, self sufficient, self centered team member will always disrupt team dynamics. The leader must coach this person to understand his role on the team. He must come to an understanding that together everyone does achieve more, and that he cannot stand alone. The team must learn to include every member, and each member must also choose to be 100% involved. The key is strong leadership that communicates a clear action plan and the rules of the game. The key is that every person knows their role and responsibility and is accountable for their piece of the project. Obviously, great communication is the key to building a winning team. Every member must not only be aware of their job and role, but also understand how their role fits into the big picture.
I encourage you to go to our blog and read through the article series “6 Keys to a Winning Team”. It will teach you how to take a group of individuals and build a great synergistic team.

No comments:

Post a Comment