Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Education – It’s All About Mistakes and Confusion!

By Action Coach Dave Beam
The Action Coach 7th point of culture reads as follows:
Education"I learn from my mistakes. I consistently learn, grow and master so that I can help my fellow team members and clients learn, grow and master too. I am an educator and allow my clients to make their own intelligent decisions about their future remembering that it is their future. I impart practical and useable knowledge rather than just theory."
Consider that first statement. How do you feel when you make a mistake? Embarrassed? Ashamed? Depressed? De-motivated?
I guess it somewhat depends on the “size” of the mistake!
Mistakes are just an opportunity to learn. The fact is that there is no failure in a mistake. The only failure is the lack of participation that usually stems from a fear of mistakes! The road to success is paved with many stepping stones of mistakes! To avoid mistakes is to leave the road to success. A child learns to walk by falling down. Mistakes are one of our best teachers. They have a way of getting our attention and teaching us a lesson we won’t soon forget! They teach us what doesn’t work – which brings us closer to what does.
Listen to someone who made thousands of mistakes, Thomas Edison. Here’s what he said on being asked how he felt about repeatedly failing to design a working light bulb:
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
As you know, he went on to invent many of the modern marvels that we enjoy today.
Every time you produce a result, you learn something. Every time you are confused, that means you have entered an unfamiliar environment where you don’t understand and don’t know what is happening! That, my friend, is a learning environment. I challenge you to drop the story of shame, ego, and depression that you attach to mistakes. Celebrate your mistakes and your confusion. They are both indications that you are creating wonderful learning opportunities.
If you must have comfort, familiarity, and a mistake free existence, then you cannot grow and learn. Learning dwells in the land of mistakes, confusion, and risk. The only failure is the failure to act. Learning and progress happen in the land of participation and action. Have fun today breaking out of your comfort zone and embracing true education!

No comments:

Post a Comment