Monday, February 14, 2011

Ownership

By Certified Action Coach Dave Beam
Ownership is ActionCOACH’s second point of culture.  It  is stated as follows:
OWNERSHIP:
“I am truly responsible for my actions and outcomes and own everything that takes place in my work and my life. I am accountable for my results and I know that for things to change, first I must change.”
The essence of the Action Coach culture is “Living Above the Line”.  Above the line, I take OWNERSHIP, ACCOUNTABILITY, and RESPONSIBILITY.  Below the line, there is BLAME, EXCUSE, and DENIAL.
Ownership is my choice to live life to the fullest; to seize each and every opportunity and participate; to take risk and live without fear; to fully participate; to give it a go; to embrace and welcome; to care; to respond; to lead and serve; to have fun and enjoy; to celebrate; to be thankful and filled with gratitude.
 
Taking ownership is living an inside out life.  I “own” my response, my spirit, my emotions, and even to a degree, my environment.  I take responsibility for what comes my way.  I am never the victim.  I view my problems and challenges as opportunities to grow and learn.  I search every situation to find what I can get “from” it, not just trying to get “through” it.  In the words of Jim Rohn, “I don’t wish life were easier, I wish I were better.”
If I am living as an owner, I refuse to blame other people for my problems and difficulties.  I take personal and full responsibility for everything in my life.  I test and measure what is important so I am never in denial.  I always am present, and real.  I realize that excuses paralyze progress, and must be avoided.  They are the thoughts and language of victims.  In short, I understand that there are two things that matter in life, REASONS and RESULTS, and REASONS don’t count! 
As an owner, my question is “Who do I want to BE, and what ACTION can I take?”  It is my situation, my business, my customer, my family, my friends, and my life.  For an owner, everyday life is an adventure.  Victims live in stories about the past or regret broken dreams that they can’t attain.  Owners create a new story every day and embrace reality. They are curious and looking for the learning in every circumstance.
My question for you is this; Will you CHOOSE to be an owner?  Are you willing to drop your victim mentality and come above the line?  I invite you to participate and live life fully.  I challenge you to be an example of ownership and inspire others to follow you.  Today is the last day of the rest of your life.  Live it and savor it.  Laugh, cry, work, love, and feel deeply.  Life is a gift.  Don’t waste it.  Own it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment