Monday, February 21, 2011

Do You Really Have a Time Management Problem?

By Action Coach Dave Beam
One of the most common challenges presented to me as a coach is how to find more time to spend with family and friends.  Many “successful” business owners and executives complain that they are so busy that they have little time available to be with their wives, husbands, children, grandchildren, and friends.  They feel that there is just too much to do, and that if they just “had more time” they would be with their loved ones more often.  Some express a deep regret and sense of loss.  I really believe that they are confused, and therefore are looking for answers in all the wrong places.

One of my self-proclaimed titles is “Granddaddy of All Granddaddies”.   Truly one of the most delightful experiences in life is spending time with my grandchildren.  Those of you who are grandparents will understand that statement, and for the rest of you, if you are blessed to be a grandparent one day, you will understand as well!
One beautiful fall afternoon, on a Wednesday, my wife invited me to go with her and the grandchildren to feed the ducks at a local lake.  I had no scheduled appointments, no pending issues, and basically no reason to keep me from going.  So we found some stale bread, loaded up the kids, and headed for the lake.  This lake is about 30 minutes from our home (which also houses my office), and about halfway there I started to feel uncomfortable.  How could I just leave the office on Wednesday afternoon and go for a leisurely unplanned walk at the lake?  What customer was I neglecting?  What other tasks were going undone?  Then real panic set in as we turned into the parking area at the lake.  No cell phone coverage!  It was the middle of the week on a workday, and my customers might call and need me and get my voicemail!!
I got out of the car and walked with my wife and my two grandkids over to the lake.  They started to feed the ducks.  Grandmama was happy.  The grandchildren were laughing.  The ducks were enjoying the snack, and the Granddaddy of all granddaddies was ….. miserable.  Years of programming.  You don’t take off in the middle of the week and go feed ducks!!!  You are being irresponsible!  What if you miss a key phone call!  You should be at work!  It’s 1:30 PM on a workday!  Yada Yada Yada.  If you have such voices, you recognize the script.
So my question for you is this:  Did I have a time management problem?  Would more time in my day bring me enjoyment, fulfillment, and happiness?  Is a lack of time the problem?  What is the real challenge?  What is it that is needed to really address this challenge?   

No comments:

Post a Comment