Monday, February 28, 2011

Do You Have a Happy Business?

By Action Coach Dave Beam
I was referred to an oral surgeon a couple of years ago to address some issues beyond the scope of my regular dentist.  As with many people, going to doctors and dentists is not one of my favorite things to do.  As a business coach, I often observe business attitudes and practices as a part of my practical education.  I learn so much just by watching what others do.

As I went through my experience at this office, I started to notice that everyone, the receptionist, the dental nurses and assistants, and the surgeon himself were happy, friendly, and personable.  I would characterize it as a happy business.  Even the other patients seemed unusually upbeat and friendly.  While conversing with one of the assistants, I couldn’t hold back my curiosity any longer.
“I’m a business coach that helps business owners and their teams improve their businesses.  I’ve been really impressed with everyone’s attitude, and really, how happy everyone is.  I have to ask, is there a distinct reason everyone is so happy around here, or are you just a happy bunch of people?”
She didn’t hesitate with her reply.  “That’s easy to answer.  The doctor has an office rule that requires us to be happy.” 
“You’re kidding me, right?” I retorted. “You can’t really have a rule that requires you to be happy, can you?  What happens if you are having a bad day or just don’t feel like smiling?”
 She smiled and said, “If we aren’t happy for any reason, the rule is we must leave the office.  We don’t lose our job, but we don’t get paid for the time we are gone.  In other words, I get time off without pay if I am not happy.  If the doctor determines that I am not happy, he gives me the choice to leave or get happy”
I was really intrigued.  “You must have a lot of employee turnover.  I can’t believe that grown people would put up with such a crazy rule”
She smiled again and responded immediately. “On the contrary, Dave, we love the rule.  This is the greatest place I have ever worked.  Everyone that works here has been here over 15 years.  We really don’t have any turnover to speak of.”
“So what if the doctor has a sour day.”  I thought I had her stumped.  She just said, “You can ask him to confirm this if you like, but a couple of years ago we sent him out of the office.  He actually left, and returned in about an hour and was as happy as ever:” 
I chuckled and asked one last question.  “How about me, do I have to be happy too?”
She laughed with me and retorted. “For sure!  If you are not happy being here for any reason, and have three incidents where you are dissatisfied with our service, we ask you to find another surgeon.  All of our patients are happy as well!”
So dear reader, I have a few questions for you to think about:  Do you have a happy business?  Do you have a happy life?  And finally, who is in control of your happiness?

1 comment: