Monday, October 11, 2010

“Commitment – The Practice of Integrity” - The Seven Levels – Part 5

By Action Coach Dave Beam
Commitment; It is the very first of our fourteen core values espoused by Action Coach.  The term encompasses perseverance, integrity, and trust.  Once you have created a synergistic agreement, where both parties win, then commitment is the grit that creates the traction that gets the project started and more importantly keeps it going.  Commitment is an upper level of relationship.  It is the natural next step after agreement.  Managers and business owners often expect accountability without commitment, and team members are not committed because there is no true understanding and agreement.
Steve Chandler, master business and life coach, speaks of a committed portion of the brain that is distinct from the “good idea” place.  It is the non-negotiable part that is intentional and determined.  All of us have access to this part of our brain, and can utilize it to accomplish amazing things.  What are your commitments?
You are likely committed to more than you think.  I’ll bet you are committed to a defined degree of bodily hygiene.  I personally shower, shave, and brush my teeth every day.  It is a non-negotiable; it just happens.  I am committed to my customer’s appointments, and am always there on time OR I call and renegotiate, because I am committed.  I am committed to stopping at all red traffic signals and stop signs.  Within the last month, I have committed to a morning exercise and spiritual growth routine that has been exhilarating and wonderful.  Perhaps one of your commitments is to care and provide for your family.  We commit to our values.  It WILL happen, not matter what else happens.  I am personally committed to my wife Connie until death.  My marriage is a non-negotiable.  It’s about taking a stand on your highest values, and we all have the ability to do it.
If you are challenged with finding committed team members, then drop back to the agreement, and make sure that is really in place.  Strong agreements grow from full understanding, and commitment is founded on clear agreements.  We’ll finish the series next week by examining accountability – I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment