Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Positioning: The Key to Great Outcomes – Sales Series Part III

By Action Coach Dave Beam
If you have been doing your homework, you have now defined a clear set of steps for your prospect to take, and you are ready to clearly position each step with them at the front end of every appointment or call.  Here is my recommended formula for creating a great positioning to open each meeting with your prospect: Permission, Process, Proposal, Permission – the 4 P’s of Positioning.
The best way to teach you positioning is to provide a few example scripts as follows:
(Permission) George, I appreciate you meeting with me today to discuss your painting project.  Would it be ok if I outlined how I would like us to work together today?
(Process)  First I am going to ask you a bunch of questions so that I can better understand your situation and the outcome you would like to experience.  These questions are designed to help us create a clear agreement on what you want and would like to see happen. 
(Proposal) Once we agree on what you want, I am going to offer a solution, schedule, and cost in line with our agreement.  If all that looks good, I would like to schedule the project and get started.
(Permission) Is it ok if we follow that process?
 Here is another one (setting the initial appointment over the phone):
(Permission) Harriet, I appreciate you taking my call this morning.  I promise this will take no more than 5 minutes.  Is this a good time, or would you like me to call back?
(Process)  I just want to ask you a few questions, and based on your answers, I think we will both know if we want to invest some more time with each other.
(Proposal)  If we both agree that it makes sense for us to meet, I would like to schedule a one-hour meeting to discuss your needs in more detail.
(Permission) Is it ok to go ahead with the first question?
I truly believe that people appreciate a process that provides structure (comfort) and lets them be in control by asking their permission to move forward.  You set the direction, and they set the pace.  If you start each step of your process with a great positioning process, then you can shorten your sales cycle and keep things moving forward by always ending with a commitment to move forward.  That is good for you and your customer as well.
Next week, I will address the best way to connect with your customer.  It is critical for people to feel relaxed and comfortable with you if you want them to buy from you.  There are some real simple skills and awareness tools that will help you create that positive connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment