Monday, April 12, 2010

Do You Love to Sell? – Sales Series Part I

By Action Coach Dave Beam
I just completed a presentation on sales, and it was so much fun I decided to write a few articles addressing this very favorite subject of mine.
I absolutely love to sell my services.  However, I have observed many other business people that view sales as a necessary chore at best, certainly not something to enjoy.  Perhaps I love sales because I view salespeople and the sales process differently than most.  So what are your beliefs about sales and salespeople?
Is the job of a salesperson to try their best to change someone’s mind so they will buy something from them?  Is it using the art of persuasion and well honed speech to entice a prospect to say yes and fork over the cash?  Is it pitching product information in order to convince your prospect that they need what you have and will feel great if they say yes? 
Well, perhaps you have been “sold” stuff by such sales people.  Maybe you try your best to sell and persuade others to buy.  However, there is a better and more enjoyable way to sell.  My definition of sales is “professionally helping people obtain what they need and want.”  In my view, the best salespeople are excellent listeners and have developed the skill of asking the very best questions so that they can fully understand what their customer needs and wants.  Great salespeople understand people and know how to create win:win situations by reaching a place of understanding and agreement.
So would you like to learn how to sell like this?  Well, over the next several weeks I am going to teach you how.  It is all about having a great system and being a skilled professional.  To start off, let me give you eight essential components of a great sales system.  I’ll list each one today, and over the next several weeks I will address each one in depth.  Here they are: #1 A documented sales process (the series of steps a person takes to buy from you); #2 A script to properly prepare your customer for each step of your process #3 A strategy to help your customer relax and feel comfortable by getting to know them  #4 A set of best questions designed to uncover and understand your customer’s wants and needs #5 A succinct presentation of the features and benefits of your products and services as they relate to your customer’s needs and wants  #6 A strategy to help customers work through the challenges that would keep them from buying from you #7 A relaxed way to professionally ask for the sale #8 A system to review your sales practice and process so you can improve.
This is going to be fun, so don’t miss a single article! 

No comments:

Post a Comment