Monday, March 14, 2011

The Power of Routine

By Action Coach Dave Beam
I would like to address an issue that used to make me groan – discipline.  The picture that comes to my mind when I think of that word is sweat, toil, deprivation, and pain.  No pain, no gain, as the saying goes.  If you have similar feelings and pictures when the word discipline is mentioned, it may be why you avoid or resist any changes in your life associated with the concept.
Well, you can lower your resistance to making positive changes by dropping the word “discipline” from your mind and replacing it with a milder, friendlier concept and term – routine.
  You already do routine.  Think about the simple daily task of putting on your shoes and socks.  My guess is that you put on the right shoe before the left, and the right sock before the left, (or the opposite) each and every day the same way.  You have a routine.  We all have dozens of routines that we don’t even think about.  Hopefully you have developed the routine of always fastening your seat belt when driving.
The fact is we are creatures of habit.  It is the way we are wired, and we can use that universal human characteristic to our advantage.  When you become intentional about creating routines, you can vastly improve your life and create the outcomes that you want.  Over this last year, I have intentionally created a morning routine that is serving me well.  It includes a bowl of oatmeal and small glass of juice, about 20 minutes of aerobic exercise, 15 minutes of think time, choosing and writing down priorities and action goals for the day, and prayer and Bible reading.  It is amazing the difference in the joy and productivity of my coaching and life, just because I have created and implemented this routine.  In fact, my morning routine has become my favorite part of the day!  Occasionally I skip all or some of it, but I really miss it and can’t wait to get right back to it. 
My challenge for you today is to take deeper ownership of your life by identifying several routines that you would like to create and practice.  It’s not sweat and toil, it’s just like brushing your teeth or putting on socks.  You can significantly change your life for the better, one routine at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment